Dubai, Johannesburg, Nairobi, Lagos, Washington, Brussels, Beijing, Dubai – 5th December 2023: Africa investor (Ai), a leading international investment group, today announced that African Governments and business leaders, were honoured at the Africa investor (Ai) NDC Investment Awards, held on the 5th of December 2023 at COP28, during The COP28 Africa Investment Earthshot Leaders Summit & NDC Investment Awards at Expo City Dubai, UAE.
These first-of-their-kind NDC Investment Awards, sponsored by the African Green Infrastructure Investment Bank (AfGIIB), were designed to recognize achievements across the main NDC 10 project sectors and reward the governments, institutions, and individuals, driving transactions and improving the investment readiness and ambition, of Africa’s NDC projects requiring $3trn of investment by 2030.
The NDC Investment Awards were launched at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Kigali, in June 2022, with the inaugural awards presented in November 2022 at COP27 in Egypt.
The 2023 NDC Investment Awards were profiled at the Africa Climate Summit in Nairobi, with the Best Shortlisted NDC projects comprising 160 projects, representing over $35bn of NDC financing and investment opportunities, from 43 African countries and all 5 African sub regions, announced during Climate Week at the 78th Session of the UN General Assembly in New York.
To recognize exemplary Presidential leadership on Africa’s climate investment agenda, the NDC Awards Secretariat presented its prestigious, special NDC Presidential Investment Climate Statesmen of the Year Awards during the ceremony in Dubai.
Commenting on the Ai NDC Investment Awards winners, Dr. Hubert Danso, Chairman of Africa investor Group and the Chair of the NDC Awards Adjudication panel said,
The NDC Investment Awards high-level Adjudication panel included:
“Africa investor (Ai) is proud to use its global investment platform to showcase and recognize Africa’s NDC project sponsors, developers, financiers, investors and Presidential Climate Investment Champions. This growing community of leaders are critical to the continent mobilising the required $3trn of green investment for our NDC’s by 2030, to pursue Africa’s NetZero aspirations. We congratulate all the shortlisted and winning candidates on their climate investment leadership."
- Hubert Danso, Chairman of Africa investor Group and the Chair of the NDC Awards Adjudication panel
- Damilola Ogunbiyi, CEO and UN SRSG for Sustainable Energy for All, Co-Chair of UN-Energy.
- Ziad-Alexandre Hayek, President of the World Association of PPP Units (WAPPP).
- John Denton, Secretary General of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
- Kandeh Yumkella, Former UN Under-Secretary-General and Special Representative of the Secretary-General and CEO.
Ai African NDC Investment Awards Winners 2023:
NDC Presidential Champion Award Winners
- Presidential "Green Infrastructure Investment Statesman" Of The Year
His Excellency Hage Gottfried Geingob, President of The Republic of Namibia
- Presidential “Agriculture Investment Statesman” of the Year
His Excellency Julius Maada Wonie Bio, President of The Republic of Sierra Leone
- Presidential "Just Transition Investment Statesman" Of The Year
His Excellency William Ruto, President of the Republic of Kenya
- Presidential "Carbon Investment Initiative Statesman" Of The Year
His Excellency Denis Sassou Nguesso, President of The Republic of Congo
- Presidential "Transport Investment Statesman” Of The Year
His Excellency Paul Kagame, President of The Republic of Rwanda
- Presidential “Water Investment Statesman” Of The Year
His Excellency Bola Tinubu, President of The Republic of Nigeria
- Presidential “Energy Investment Statesman” Of The Year
His Highness King Mohammed VI, President of The Kingdom of Morocco
NDC Project Award Winners:
- Best Urban Development NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
Chongwe Smart City Renewable Energy Project, The Government of Zambia
- Best Agriculture NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
Using Agricultural residue to achieve health and climate benefits from cleaner cooking, National Council on Climate Change (NCCC) Nigeria
- Best Health NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
Global Health Corps (GHC) 2022, GHC Malawi, Rwanda, Uganda, Zambia and America
- Best Transport NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
E-mobility venture, Basigo Ltd Kenya
- Best Water NDC Investment Initiative of The Year (Joint initiative)
Climate Investor Two (CI2) - Water, Sanitation, and Oceans Infrastructure Projects, Climate Fund Managers B.V
- Best Waste NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
The Power of Waste, Phoenix Edison Nigeria
- Best Tourism NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
Rhino Africa Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Rhino Africa Namibia
- Best Forestry NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
Irise Malawi, Irise Global Inc Malawi
- Best Energy NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
Siwa Solar PV Plant, MASDAR Egypt
- Best Education NDC Investment Initiative of The Year
Food for Education (F4E), Kenya
- Best Financeable NDC City Initiative of the Year
Green City Kigali (GCK), FONERWA Rwanda
- Best GreenTech NDC Initiative of the Year
Early-stage Tech start-ups, The Catalyst Fund Africa
- Best Investable NDC Adaption Initiative of the Year
Building the Resilience of Local Communities in Zambia through the Introduction of Ecosystem-based Adaptation (EbA) into Priority Ecosystems, including Wetlands and Forests, The Government of Zambia
- Best Bankable Donor NDC Initiative of the Year
Etihad 7, United Arab Emirates Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation
- Best Blended Investment NDC Initiative of the Year
GAIA's Blended Finance Fund, Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Bank Latin America, Caribbean, Africa, Asia-Pacific and FinDev Canada
- Best Youth NDC Initiative of the Year
Ivoire Myciculture Distribution (IMD), Cote d’ivoire
Note to Editors
About The NDC Investment Awards Headline sponsor
The African Green Infrastructure Investment Bank (AfGIIB) is an African Union-convened and supported African institutional investor-led, global climate investment platform, to catalyze private capital for Africa’s green transition. Visit www.afgiib.com for more information.
About Africa investor Group
Africa investor (Ai) Group is an institutional investment holding platform that aligns its pools of capital from sovereign wealth funds, pension funds, family offices, and long-term investors with vetted infrastructure, private equity, and technology investment opportunities in Africa. Visit www.africainvestor.com